You have met a beautiful lady or a charming gentleman who ticks all the boxes, but are you compatible? According to relationship experts, compatibility is key to a healthy life-long partnership.
Here are a few compatibility signs to look out for:
- You Have Similar Beliefs/Interests
If you are in agreement about your ideas of family, children, career, money, religion, and social life, you are looking golden. If not? You may be in for some conflict. It is important to at least share a similar outlook on life and be able to talk about how you see the world. For example, if you are really interested in horses, it might be a good idea to find a reliable horse lovers dating site so that you can find someone who is interested in the same thing as you.
This is a basic sign of compatibility between a couple. We live in interesting times where political and religious polarization is incredibly high. Can you talk to each other about politics or religion without getting nasty? This can be challenging because it’s easy to get angry when our beliefs are challenged or we feel like we have been attacked by someone close to us.
- You’re Comfortable Being Apart
While it might seem counterintuitive to compatibility, being comfortable with your partner’s absence is actually a good sign. If you can handle spending time apart and still feel like you’re in a happy and healthy relationship, it means you’re with someone who makes you feel safe enough to be yourself—no matter what that looks like for each of you. Doing things on your own also helps keep your relationship fresh by giving both parties something new to talk about when you are together again.
3. You Both Want to be a Priority in Each Other’s Lives
Do you feel like your partner is putting their career, hobbies, or friends ahead of you? It can be a hard fact to accept if this is the case. One thing’s for sure: it’s not okay if you’re doing the same thing to your partner.
If you want your partner to prioritize you, make them a priority first. You’ll know that you are compatible and serious about each other once they do the same.
How do we define making someone a priority? Here are some things to do to show someone that they are important:
- Putting their needs ahead of your own
- Putting the relationship ahead of your career
- Putting the relationship ahead of your hobbies
- Putting the relationship ahead of your friend
If you feel a sexual attraction to your partner that seems to be growing over time, it’s a good sign. The relationship is also promising if you’re feeling a deeper emotional attraction over time. You might even find that the intellectual and spiritual connections between you feel more and more significant over time—these are all positive signs of compatibility and relationship health.
Most people don’t experience an increasing attraction in every category simultaneously, but if you find that at least one of these categories is strengthening over time, it’s likely to be a sign of compatibility.
4. There’s Mutual Respect Between You Two
Whether you’ve been in a relationship for a while or are just starting out, you may be wondering if there’s a right way to “tell” if things are working. One of the most important indicators of a healthy relationship is mutual respect. How do you tell that your relationship with your partner has it:
- You both feel heard when talking about important topics. It can be easy to get caught up in our own thoughts and feelings during an argument or conflict, but it’s vital that both partners feel like they have an outcome they’re happy with at the end of “a fight.” If you don’t feel like your partner is hearing what you need or want from them, it might be time for a conversation about communication styles (or using nonverbals like hand-holding or eye contact).
- You both feel seen by each other daily. One great indicator that two people care about each other is remembering details: birthdays/anniversaries/other special events and preferences and opinions on various topics (music genre preference, favorite activity after work). These things can change over time, so it’s essential to make sure that when someone shares something new about themselves, you ask them questions about it.
While no relationship is perfect, compatibility is an excellent foundation for a truly wonderful relationship. Remember that not everything has to be figured out at once. A genuine relationship is one where change and growth are shared and celebrated. Use these signs as a guide when building the foundation of your relationship.