Ready or not, wedding season is officially upon us. And thanks to the upcoming royal wedding between Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, which is just mere days away, wedding fever seems to be at an all-time high this year. With marriage on the mind for so many couples worldwide (royal or not), it only makes sense that wedding-worthy music would also become a relevant hot topic of conversation. To curb your nuptial-related love song yearning that’s no doubt itching to be fixed—given the current romantic and royal-obsessed climate (and to save you countless hours perusing every single wedding playlist the music world has to offer)—Spotify has come to the rescue just in time.
The beloved music-streaming service, which has seen its fair share of user-generated wedding music roundups, just revealed the top 10 wedding and first dance songs of 2018 from playlists across the globe. Thanks to the crooning vocals of popular artists like Bruno Mars and John Legend, each hit has “wedding dance floor–ready” written all over it, and may even provoke a tear or two. Whether you’re on the brink of engagement, in need of some first dance song inspo with your future spouse, or just really want to have a solo dance party in your bedroom to some soulful tunes, take a cue from your fellow Spotify listeners and save these 20 love-infused ballads to your “Songs” tab.
While the royal wedding singer still unfortunately remains an enigma, a few of the romantic melodies below may also make an appearance at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s reception (royals enjoy a good pop song just as much as the rest of us). Love song expert and fellow Brit Ed Sheeran (who unsurprisingly dominated this year’s wedding music trends) is even pitted to perform for the lovebirds. What could be better than a live rendition of the world’s most popular first dance song!?
Top 10 First Dance Songs Globally in 2018:
- Ed Sheeran, “Perfect”
- Ed Sheeran, “Thinking Out Loud”
- Etta James, “At Last”
- John Legend, “All of Me”
- Elvis Presley, “Can’t Help Falling in Love”
- Christina Perri, “A Thousand Years”
- Ray LaMontagne, “You Are the Best Thing”
- Jason Mraz, “I Won’t Give Up”
- Ellie Goulding, “How Long Will I Love You”
- Ed Sheeran, “Perfect Duet” (Ed Sheeran & Beyoncé)
Listen to the full playlist here.
Top 10 Wedding Songs Globally in 2018:
1. Ed Sheeran, “Thinking Out Loud”
2. Bruno Mars, “Marry You”
3. Ed Sheeran, “Perfect”
4. Whitney Houston, “I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)”
5. John Legend, “All of Me”
6. Mark Ronson, “Uptown Funk”
7. The Temptations, “My Girl”
8. Christina Perri, “A Thousand Years”
9. Train, “Marry Me”
10. Daryl Hall & John Oates, “You Make My Dreams”
Listen to the full playlist here.
Royal Wedding-Themed Song Picks:
Looking for more sentimental tunes, whether slow or upbeat, in honor of the royal wedding to get in the spirit for the big day? The Vitamin String Quartet, a musical group that plays out-of-this-world instrumental versions of today’s most popular tracks (a.k.a. the perfect wedding band), curated a playlist with 12 of their marriage-related song covers that even Queen Elizabeth II would approve of. You can also catch this musical group on Spotify, so add these serene jams to your “Royal Wedding” playlist…because you can’t hide the fact that you created one in the first place (no shame).
- “Stand By You,” originally performed by Rachel Platten
- “Love Me Like You Do,” originally performed by Elle Goulding
- “Across the Universe,” originally performed by the Beatles
- “Stay With Me,” originally performed by Sam Smith
- “1,2,3,4,” originally performed by Feist
- “Hallelujah,” originally performed by Jeff Buckley
- “Best Day of My Life,” originally performed my American Authors
- “Fidelity,” originally performed by Regina Spektor
- “I’m Yours,” originally performed by Jason Mraz
- “Safe and Sound,” originally performed by the Civil Wars
- “Shape of You,” originally performed by Ed Sheeran
- “You and Me,” originally performed by Dave Matthews Band